Fresno County


Home Contact Us SiteMap
Adult Services
Children and Family Services
Community Health
Employment and Temporary Assistance


Our Location: 4499 E. Kings Canyon Road, Fresno, CA 93703

Phone: Civil Rights (559) 454-2996
            Welfare Relations (559) 453-6212 or 453-4357    

The Fresno County Department of Employment and Temporary Assistance (E&TA) has a Civil Rights department to handle your complaints of discrimination based on race, gender, handicap and other protected classes.
If you feel that you are the victim of discrimination, please contact the Civil Rights Department at once. For all programs except Medi-Cal, please call 454-2996 or 453-3858 to talk to someone about this issue. We can take your complaint over the phone. If you leave a message, it will be returned as soon as possible, usually within 24 business hours.
If you would like to make a civil rights complaint against a company, agency or community-based organization (CBO) that currently receives county funding, you may do so via any of the methods mentioned above, including contacting our Civil Rights Department directly. The Civil Rights Department of Fresno County Employment and Temporary Assistance investigates all claims of civil rights violations that occurred at any location that currently receives funding from Fresno County, just as if it occurred at one of our facilities or with one of our employees. If you are not sure if your claim or complaint falls into this area, please call us so that we may address your concerns at once
If you believe your civil rights have been violated in the Medi-Cal program, there are two agencies that may assist you, depending on where the alleged violation occurred.

If you believe your civil rights were violated by an Eligibility Worker or other office staff in a County building, please call
454-2996 or 453-3858. We can take your complaint over the phone. If you leave a message, it will be returned as soon as possible, usually within 24 business hours.

If you believe your civil rights were violated by a doctor, nurse, hospital or managed care company (Health Net or Blue Cross), then you should call the Ombudsman’s office. Click here for more details. The ombudsman’s number is 1-888-452-8609. They can also be reached by email at
If you have a complaint regarding a worker or other County staff member, this differs from a civil rights complaint. The best way to resolve a complaint regarding your worker or other staff member is to speak with the worker’s direct supervisor. These are the people who know the worker the best and are the only ones who can take direct action with the worker. To find out who your worker’s supervisor is, you can call 488-1888 and tell the operator you would like the name and number of the worker’s direct supervisor. You will need to be able to give the name of the County employee that you have a complaint about. You can also ask any worker for their supervisor’s name and number. All workers asked should provide this information.

If you have already spoken with the supervisor and are still unhappy, you can call the Program Manager or the Civil Rights number listed above.


A civil rights complaint differs from a request for Appeal. An appeal is a forum to have the merits or circumstances of your case and any actions you disagree with (denial, termination, sanction, etc.) heard before an independent party.

If you don’t agree with a decision made on your case, you can file an appeal. If you have received a Notice of Action (NOA) explaining that your assistance will be reduced or terminated or that your application has been denied, you have the right to request a State Fair Hearing. You may do this by calling 1-800-952-5253 or coming in to the Barton building to make a request in person. You may also mail a request to the State at the address listed below, or fax it to the State at 1-916-229-4110.

California Department of Social Services,
State Hearings Division,
P.O. Box 944243,
Mail Station 19-37,
Sacramento, California 94244-2430

You must do this within 90 days of the date the NOA was sent to you, or you will lose this right. If you make the request before the effective date on the letter, you may request Aid Paid Pending (APP) the outcome of your hearing. If the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) rules against you, you will need to pay back any benefits you received after the original effective date of the change. There are exceptions in the In Home Supportive Services Program (IHSS) and Medi-Cal.

IHSS: There is no overpayment penalty for APP in IHSS. Any excess benefits you receive while waiting for your hearing results will not be collected from you.

Medi-Cal: If you were receiving Medi-Cal because you were receiving CalWORKS or Welfare-to-Work benefits, you may be eligible to APP for Medi-Cal if you go in person to a local Medi-Cal intake center, complete an application and ask for Aid Paid Pending prior to your discontinuance date. Please be sure to tell your worker that you want this and they can explain to you if you qualify or not.


If you think you know someone who may be abusing the system or committing fraud or if you think your worker is committing fraud or if you suspect that anyone is committing fraud, or abusing the system please call 1-800-297-3571 or 262-4811 or click on this link (Welfare Fraud). You don’t have to leave your name, just tell us who you suspect, what you suspect them of doing, and why. You may also send a letter to the following address:

County of Fresno
Auditor-Controller/Treasurer-Tax Collector
P.O. Box 1247
Fresno California,  93715-1247

You can remain anonymous. We want to know who about who is committing fraud, not you.

Links to Other Resources:

California Department of Health Services – Ombudsman  (use link below for CDHS)

California Department of Social Services complaint page   

California State Food Stamp Program complaint form

 US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights

PUB 13: Your Rights under California Welfare Programs.
English    Armenian   Cambodian   Chinese   Russian  Spanish   Hmong  Vietnamese  Lao  

PUB 13: Audio for Visually Impaired:
Audio for the Visually Impaired - English
Audio for the Visually Impaired - Spanish
Audio for the Visually Impaired - Russian
Audio for the Visually Impaired - Vietnamese
Audio for the Visually Impaired - Chinese - Mandrin