Fresno County


Home Contact Us SiteMap
Adult Services
Children and Family Services
Community Health
Employment and Temporary Assistance

Our Location: Fairgrounds Intake Building - 4468 E. Kings Canyon Road Fresno, CA 93702

Phone: (559) 454-5402


Resource Limits

Where to Apply

How much cash aid can be received?

What do you need to apply?

Time Limits

Immediate Need

Employment Services

Diversion Services

Homeless Assistance


The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) program is the state implementation of the Federal Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program (TANF). It provides time-limited cash assistance to families with children. CalWORKs recipients are automatically eligible to Medi-Cal, and may qualify for Food Stamp benefits. Cash benefits are based upon the number of individuals in the family, with any other sources of income taken into consideration. Additionally, cash benefits for the entire month are mailed to recipients in one check at the beginning of each month.

Adults in the program are required to participate in a work activity unless determined exempt. Employment services are available to work activity participants including counseling, job preparedness, job development, training, and supportive services such as childcare, transportation, work clothing and tools. Services are also available to address barriers to employment including substance abuse, domestic violence, mental health and legal issues. For more information see "Welfare To Work".

Who can apply for Assistance?

Any person has the right to apply for assistance. An applicant who appears ineligible must still be allowed to exercise his/her right to make an application.

Who is Eligible for CalWORKs?

Families are eligible if there is a minor child in the home whose parent(s) are unable to provide adequate support because:

Either parent is deceased; Either parent is physically or mentally incapacitated; The principal earner is unemployed; Either parent is continually absent from the home in which the child is living.

Where to apply for CalWORKs?

To apply for CalWORKs, please visit the office located at 4468 E. Kings Canyon Road on the Fresno County Fairgrounds lot, on the corner of Kings Canyon and Chance. Regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. We are closed on legal holidays.

Time Limits

Adults under the CalWORKs program are limited to receiving cash benefits for a lifetime cumulative period of 60 months.


CalWORKs applicants must attend a mandatory CalWORKs orientation to complete forms and to listen to an explanation of rights and responsibilities. Also, applicants will be advised of work requirements and the time limits for receiving cash aid. After the orientation, applicants will be given an appointment to see an Eligibility Worker and complete the application process. CalWORKs orientations are scheduled daily Monday through Friday. English orientation sessions are held each day at: 8:15 a.m., 9:45 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 2:45 p.m. Spanish orientation sessions are held each day at: 9:30 a.m., and 1:00 p.m.