The long-term goal of this program is for women to achieve an independent and drug-free lifestyle. More immediate outcomes include:
- improved parenting commitment and nurturing skills
- increased knowledge of risk factors involved in using alcohol and other drugs on the individual as well as on the unborn fetus and developing infant and child
- women employed, involved in continuing education or vocational skills training
- family reunification.
To the greatest extent possible, the target population for these services shall include, but not be limited to:
- Women who are pregnant and substance using
- Women who are parenting and substance using, with a child(ren) ages birth through 17
- After the above identified populations are met, women without children.
Priority admission for all women in perinatal funded services will be given in the following order:
1. Pregnant injection drug users
2. Pregnant substance users
3. Parenting injection drug users
4. Parenting substance users